This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 1 cup Soy flour or Besan (chickpea) flour
- 3/4 cup corn flour (100% corn)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped walnut
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125 g cream cheese, chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- In a large bowl, sift in flours, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and spice. Add in sugar, carrot and walnuts and stir well.
- Then, add in the olive oil, cream and eggs and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased non-stick 20 cm round cake tin and bake for about 60 minutes.
- Insert a cake tester or wooden stick into the middle of the cake to check if the cake is done.
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire cake rack to cool.
- Top the cake with Orange Frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and orange rind in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar gradually and beat until smooth.